The Ukrainian chapter of the global anti-corruption network Transparency International cordially invites lawyers, journalists and representatives of public agencies to an expert discussion on the competition for the positions of judges of the High Anti-Corruption Court in Ukraine.
The event will take place on 5 September 2018 at 10 a.m. in Kyiv at 92-94 Dmytrivska Street, Kyiv School of Economics.
An efficiently operating independent judicial system is a mandatory element of any democratic state where the rule of law prevails. In Ukraine during the recent years, a large number of systemic reforms have been carried out, including the judicial branch of the government. Nevertheless, success of the whole process depends on the ability of the judicial system to operate efficiently and independently avoiding any third party influence.
These days, a new judicial institution which is destined to restore confidence in judicial authorities, the High Anti-Corruption Court, is being established. Formation of judiciary should be only based on independence and professionalism.
– What are the peculiarities of the competitive procedure of selection of judges?
– How will the competition itself be held?
– Will there be public monitoring of the process?
- Artem Sytnyk, director of the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (TBC)
- Serhii Koziakov, head of the High Qualification Commission of Judges of Ukraine (TBC)
- Zlata Symonenko, member of the Public Control Council under the NABU, partner at Bar union Solodko and Partners, defense attorney
- Maksym Kostetskyi, legal adviser of Transparency International Ukraine
- Yevhen Hrushovets, deputy head of the Criminal and Criminal Procedural Law Committee of Ukrainian Bar Association, partner at Ario law firm, defense attorney
- Anastasiia Krasnosilska, expert of Anti-Corruption Action Center
To participate in the event, please register by 6 p.m. EET 4 September 2018 at https://goo.gl/forms/eLb9UiWxIf7ztt243
Address any queries connected with event organization and pertaining to journalistic accreditation to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (063) 887-46-30.
This event is conducted with the support of the American people provided through U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) as a part of the project “Support to Anti-Corruption Champion Institutions Program. Any individual points of view expressed during the event and in any publication are the sole responsibility of the organizers, and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the U.S. Government.