Transparency International Defence & Security and Transparency International Ukraine are looking for a Secretary General for the Independent Defence Anti-Corruption Committee (Nezalezhny Antikorrupciynii Komitet z pytan oborony – NAKO). NAKO is a joint initiative established to fight corruption in the Ukrainian defence sector.
This is an opportunity to make a lasting difference in Ukraine. Defence reform will take time, but the right NAKO Secretary General will turn a nascent Secretariat into a dynamic team able to leverage the voice of the committee to drive top level and permanent change. NAKO is comprised of a first-rate committee of six leading figures in anti-corruption, defence and good governance, and a permanent Secretariat in Kyiv. The Secretary General will provide strong strategic leadership and direction for the Secretariat, and will be adept at navigating political complex set issues and relationships. He/she will also have strong external responsibilities in representing the Committee to government, civil society and the international community.
Since the committee’s first meeting in October, we have built a small team, produced a strategy, terms of reference and mandate, published our first piece of research, Making the System Work: Enhancing Security Assistance to Ukraine, submitted recommendations on defence reform to the Annual National Programme 2017, and formed relationships with the MOD, Ukroboronprom and others. The next pieces of research in the pipeline are on corruption risks in military housing, checkpoints in the East and the illicit trade, and medical supply procurement, and monitoring Ukroboronprom’s procurement of a change consultant.
You will work as part of a dedicated transnational team that is committed to fighting corruption within the defence and security sector of Ukraine. We are looking for someone who is passionate, driven and goal-oriented, with leadership experience and a commitment to tackling corruption in the Ukrainian defence sector.
is implemented by Transparency International Defence & Security Programme and hosted by Transparency International Ukraine.
For more details, please follow the project URL: http://nako.org.ua.
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Purpose: Enable the development of NAKO into a successful monitoring and advocacy body, which is able to affect concrete change within the Ukrainian defence sphere.
- Provide strategic leadership for the project and the NAKO Secretariat, in close collaboration with the NAKO members;
- Manage relationships with high-level stakeholders, including within government, donors, civil society, and the media;
- Coordination of all project activities and NAKO Secretariat personnel, freelancers/consultants and volunteers;
- Ensure that all components of the project are delivered to a high standard and on time, in line with the agreement with the strategy developed by the NAKO committee.
- Build and strengthen relationships with the donor community;
- Coordinate and liaise with key stakeholders, and between TI-DS (based in London) and TI Ukraine.
Desirable skills and experience:
- At least 7 years of experience working in a relevant field – e.g. in public policy, consulting, defence or international relations, with a minimum of 4 years experience at managerial level and within an international context;
- The ability to build relationships and influence at the most senior levels;
- A solid understanding of defence sector issues and/or anti-corruption would be highly desirable;
- Evidence of judgement, decision-making and leadership skills are essential
- Strong communication and negotiation skills;
- Excellent command of verbal and written Ukrainian and English;
- Undergraduate degree level qualification in defence, public policy, politics, business administration or other relevant field;
- The ability to work independently, and as part of a team;
- Excellent problem solver;
- High level of integrity and commitment.
Application deadline: 1st of July, 2017. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
Payment: monthly payments covered by grant funds
Duration: 6 months contract, with intent to become permanent
Start Date: As soon as possible
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter in English to email@example.com. Please make sure put “Secretary General – NAKO Ukraine” in the subject heading and ensure these documents are sent as one PDF file. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Should you be short-listed, you will be contacted by a member of the team.
Note: Transparency International Ukraine is a national chapter of Transparency International, an anti-corruption NGO, which operates in more than 100 countries. TI Ukraine’s mission is to limit the increase of corruption in Ukraine by promoting transparency, accountability, and integrity in both the public authorities and civil society. You can learn more about the organization’s activity on the website www.ti-ukraine.org.