Transparency International Ukraine has developed a concept for the reconstruction of Ukraine. It embodies the vision of how to solve the greatest risks in the process of restoring the country.
We analyzed the experience of other countries in the matter of post-war reconstruction, the main shortcomings and their causes. And proposed an architecture of the reconstruction process, which should minimize risks during the implementation of restoration projects.
The basis of future trust in Ukraine’s intentions and aspirations will be the first steps towards the preparation of reconstruction. Namely, the formation of a new legislative field and the introduction of reforms and changes, some of which were postponed for many years due to the unpreparedness of the country’s political elites.
In particular, high attention will be paid to the fulfillment of the EU requirements (seven blocks of reforms), the implementation of which the EU has defined as a condition for Ukraine to retain the status of a candidate to join the European Union.
The reconstruction of Ukraine can be coordinated by an independent reconstruction institution, which will:
- develop standards and requirements for reconstruction projects;
- advise the initiators,
- administer projects,
- monitor the critical points of their implementation;
- analyze and evaluate the implementation of projects, develop recommendations;
- inform and report on the progress of reconstruction;
- connect all parties of the reconstruction process: international partners, the state, project executors (balance holders of objects), society (ultimate beneficiaries of reconstruction).
Reconstruction projects should be implemented as openly and transparently as possible, using electronic systems for identifying the project life cycle. Such tools can be:
- Electronic reconstruction management system — information about all projects and their stages in one place.
- The Prozorro e-procurement system — to implement all procurement transactions related to reconstruction projects, according to the same rules and in one system.
- Geoinformation module and other systems for planning reconstruction needs.
- Register of damaged and destroyed property.
- Analytical systems for assessing losses and determining reconstruction needs.
The basis of future trust in Ukraine's intentions and aspirations will be the first steps towards the preparation of reconstruction. Namely, the formation of a new legislative field and the introduction of reforms and changes, some of which were postponed for many years due to the unpreparedness of the country's political elites.
Read more here.